This one day forum is meant to provide a real time discourse and dialogue on dealing with the nuances of ethical decision making in disaster response and grappling with the many facets involved in these complex and unique settings.
Ethical Issues in Disaster Response
- May 25, 2016
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Pre-registration required?
- Registration closed?
By definition a disaster is an event that causes great damage, loss, or destruction. Whether globally or locally, individuals and groups that respond to these crisis face unique ethical challenges brought forth in a disaster setting. Everyday decision making in health care takes on a unique complexity with deeper implications. The allocation of scare resources, expectations of responders functioning in local systems, medical malpractice and standards, are just a few of the ethical dilemmas faced by humanitarian responders both on the global and local level.
It is imperative to provide those who work in disaster response a set of tools for thinking about these issues. This one day forum is meant to provide a real time discourse and dialogue on dealing with the nuances of ethical decision making in disaster response and grappling with the many facets involved in these complex and unique settings.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
1. Provide an overview of ethical challenges in the disaster setting.
2. Provide an opportunity for clinicians and non-clinicians interested in disaster response to become acquainted with the complexities of ethical issues in a disaster setting.
3. Review the emerging ethical issues against a global and local setting.
4. Discuss the issues of medical malpractice and liability in global and domestic disaster response.
Partners affiliated employees who work in or are interested in global or local disaster response. This includes MD's, NP's, RN's,Pharmacist, Technicians, EMT's, Security, Residents and Students.
Massachusetts General Hospital Global Health and Partners HealthCare
For more information: https://www.phscpd.org/activities/activity-detail/ethical-issues-in-disaster-response